Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Let us quote.

This was love at first sight, love everlasting: a feeling unknown, unhoped for, unexpected- in so far as it could be a matter of conscious awareness; it took entire possession of him, and he understood, with joyous amazement, that this was for life.

-Thomas Mann

I ran into this quote and found it fascinating for a number of reasons. It would be long to explain, but Thomas Mann is an author I respect despite the fact that I am not familiar with his writting; I respect him because someone whose opinion I not only respect but utterly adore holds his work in high regard.

Love at first sight. As far as I know, it’s existence goes unchallenged and it is now far beyond debate. Perhaps only the unlucky disagree with me when I say that it is upon the very first sight that you become fond of someone’s looks, whereas true love might take a little bit longer to become apparent.

What is the mechanic behind love at first sight? Well, that I left for the sages to wonder.

This begins the first Official Quoting Week here at One Too Many. I will (maybe) select a quote a day and say something about it. Then again, there is always the possibility that lazyness strikes me and I do nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home