Monday, August 07, 2006

Four legs and one fin.

I want my MTV

(Or, “How the world changes around me as I get old”)

Yes, I want my Mtv. I want it back. When I was 16-or-so years old, Mtv was the best channel in the world. I would watch Beavis & Butthead or Ren & Stimpy over and over. Small bands no-one knew made their own videos and got expo. The Real World was yet to come, as there were no reality shows, not in the music channel. Alternative sounds and weird animation. Mtv was cool, was in touch, it was about the music, not the monster corporatives.

Then, it grew. It grew so much it ended up being what it fighted so hard against; another souless-faceless massive broadcaster. Suddendly small studios could no longer afford Mtv time. Some of those little bands became The Offspring, Goo Goo Dolls, Limp Bizkit and Korn. In a good day you would catch a couple of Tool videos, perhaps even a nostalgic bit of Nirvana or Metallica if the vj was in the mood.

Take a look at Mtv today. I mean, take a good long look at it.

Where are the videos? Where is the music in music telvision? True, every now and then you will catch an awesome song. I’m not one of those guys who say everything was better in the past. But think of it, where is the taste? Where is the rebel spirit Mtv once had?

Perhaps I just grew out of their target, and Mtv is still in touch... with a younger generation. I really like those baggy pants with big bags in the legs, the kind that are very roomy but are tighter in the ankle. They are becoming near impossible to get. They are no longer trendy, and they don’t make them anymore.

Is that the case with Mtv? Am I looking for a product that is coming out of fashion? Am I actually, getting old?

I don’t think getting old is a bad thing, though.

5 Comments:

At August 10, 2006 at 1:18 AM, Blogger Flexis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At August 10, 2006 at 1:21 AM, Blogger Flexis said...

No, getting old is not a bad thing.

And yeah, Mtv is Overrated. No more Happy Happy Joy Joy, nor Teepee for my bunghole, nor Headbangers, nor M2.

M2 was also a great channel, lots of B-Sides, Tool and Nine Inch Nails, no Britney, no "tits and ass" rap/hip hop.

California Love only. Aeon Flux nights. War for Territory. Heart Shaped Box and a Man Who Sold the World.

Man I wold even trade all Mtv Awards for 1hr in Paradise City (never been a Guns fan).

But no, now it's all cheesy pinks, cry baby punks, and stupid pranks in the wilds.

I mean, someone once said: "Good Charlotte? It sounds more to me like a Mediocre Greenday!

That's what the Music Television You Control has become. A mere ghost of it's past.

Yeah, I may also be too old, but I've heard "younglings" saying the same.

No one wants a Chemical Romance or a pair of Boots for Walking.

But I should stop... this is getting longer than I thought...

 
At August 10, 2006 at 7:52 AM, Blogger Bhrusa said...

I think you are right, I used to watch Mtv, nowadays i can only watch Mtv latino which means reaggeton 24h a day, I think it´s too much for anyone. Mtv won´t be the same...

how are you?
i like reading you, bye!

 
At August 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM, Blogger shtepenwolf....! said...

yo ni veo esa basura, entonces no opinaré... aunque es una basura. Bro porfavor que espere la campaña a mi retorno el 21, that I beg, and prepare to be trashed on my HALOOO revenge!!! De hecho tambien echemos un MK3 clásico y demas juegos de peleas in which thou shalt perish in pain!

 
At August 13, 2006 at 12:51 PM, Blogger Bhrusa said...

muchas felicidades!! así seguro que lo recuerdo... jeje supongo que lo pasarás mal pero sabes q ella te quiere y si merece la pena esperará, sin embargo yo no tengo esa seguridad de que el sentimiento sea mutuo, no se, es extraño. en el techo de una fábrica??? de verdad??
bss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home